Allergy Awareness

Macgregor Primary School  is committed to ensuring that all students, staff and volunteers in our care are safe and their wellbeing is maintained.

Macgregor Primary School aims to provide a safe environment for students and staff who may have a severe allergic reaction to a food product like nuts, eggs or shellfish. Severe allergic reactions can result in anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a sudden, potentially fatal allergic reaction, which can occur within seconds of exposure to an allergen. Symptoms may include swelling of the face or throat, runny nose, inflamed and swollen eyes, hives, wheezing, difficulty breathing, stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhoea, drop in blood pressure and collapse. Products such as peanut butter and nutella, which are sticky in nature, are of particular concern and may be transferred between individuals through contact with door handles, taps, furniture, writing implements, etc.

Common allergens include but are not limited to nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, pollens, dairy products and bee stings.

photo of a nut awareness postera photo of a fresh tastes program morning tea

Allergies are becoming a more frequent occurrence within our community. Consequently we respond to the needs of those students, staff and volunteers with identified allergies.

Current research and advice regarding Allergies and Anaphylaxis indicates that the proactive approach in managing allergies in the environment is to educate our community about the various types and triggers to allergies, and develop safe practices to support community members with allergies.

Macgregor Primary School is a Nut Aware school in response to children suffering severe allergic reactions when in contact with nuts. To minimise the risk of nut contamination in the school area we require that no nuts, peanut butter or nut oil be brought to school. This does not include products that state "may contain traces of nuts".